CSS 220 Module 1 In-Class Problems
1) How many permutations are there for letters (c, o, m, p, u, t, e, r) that start with a consonant and is followed by a vowel in the second position?
2) How many ways can you draw a face card from a standard 52-card deck?
3) How many ways can we write a list of 4 numbers from (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) without any repeating?
4) How many ways can we write a list of 10 numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) without repeating any?
5) How many different 7-character license plates are possible if they must include exactly three letters and four numbers. The first, middle, and last character in the license plate should be letters.
Challenge Questions – Bonus
1) You are ordering a pizza from Uno’s. They have:
· 3 crust options
· 9 veggie options
· 7 meat options
How many ways can you order a two meat, three veggie pizza?
2) Suppose you “have” time to listen to 10 songs on your commute to campus. There are 6 hip hop tunes, 8 reggaeton tunes, and 3 alternative rock tunes to choose from.
Finally, suppose you still want 4 hip hop, 4 reggaeton, and 2 alt rock tunes, and the order of the groups doesn’t matter, but you get distracted and miss your stop if all the songs by any one group aren’t played together.
How many playlists are there?
3) In an escape game, you have found a padlock with numbers from 1 to 60. You have previously found a piece of paper inside a clear bottle. On the piece of paper is a picture of a padlock and four clues:
1) Four numbers complete the sequence.
2) No two numbers are the same.
3) The second number is twice the third.
4) The third number is prime.
How many possible combinations exist for the padlock?