I’m working on a algebra discussion question and need an explanation to help me study.
Please see below a good solved example for 2019 for the population growth rate analysis. Please use the current year for your posts.
Let’s consider the state of Wisconsin in regard to population growth. As of 2019, the current population is 5,832,661. Wisconsin is the 23rd largest state in the country.
1. The population growth equation is:
P(t)=PoektP(t)=PoektPP ( t ) = P o e k t
Growth Rate = 0.35%
e = Euler’s number (constant) = 2.7183
Population in 2050:
t = 2050 – 2019 = 31 years
P(31) = 5,832,661*e0.0035(31) = 5,832,661*2.71830.1085 = 6501112.58044
The formula and calculations indicate that in 2050 the population of Wisconsin will be approx. 6,501,113.
2. To determine when the population will be doubled:
T=ln2/(0.0035) = 0.69/0.0035 =198.042051589
The population in Wisconsin will double in 198 years.
3. An additional real-world example that can be used for exponential or logarithmic equations is a working budget. If we want to find what our budget would be in 10 years (2029) or 20 years (2039) we can use the logarithmic equation to determine that.
Your task for this discussion is as follows:
- Use the population growth equation to determine the expected population for a state (not already chosen by another student) in the year 2050. Make sure to cite any outside sources used to determine the current growth rate.
- Determine when the population will double. (i.e. Doubling Time, T)
- Discuss additional examples of real-world contexts that can be modeled using exponential or logarithmic equations.
- In your responses to peers, compare your results and comment on their additional examples.